Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:46:09 -0500
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Mike Holling <myke@fks.bt>
Cc:        Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@over.ru>, Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>, Heiko Schaefer <320048919767-0001@t-online.de>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VideoCD and/or MPEG4 players for FreeBSD

Mike Holling wrote:

> > On my AMD-K6-300, it gives 100% frame loss. I.e. no picture except paused.
> >
> > Is it THAT slow? Or something deeply
> > FreeBSD-of-that-exact-date-on-that-exact-CPU-related?
>
> I get the same results on my K2-350 system.  I have one demo mpeg4 that
> plays somewhat, and is almost viewable with sound disabled.  However none
> of the movie trailer clips I've downloaded will play at all, except for
> the sound.  I've had friends tell me their PII 400 systems work, maybe
> there is a design difference between the CPUs that's crucial for this app?

Well, you might also look into other factors.  My PII 400 plays Divx and
MPEG4
streams just fine, even with a bit of load in the background.  One BIG
factor is
which X server you are using.  XFree 3.3.6 is a CPU hog when it comes to
blitting
sections of the screen over and over again.  In fact a good well
supported video
card can make as much difference as your CPU with XFree.  I'm using an
old Mystique
G200 with XFree 4.0.1, with the DRI stuff enabled.
In addition, try not to run flashy windowmanagers/desk utilities (or
dockapps) with a
lot of animation, since X is apparently rather poor at context switching
between different animations.  I've heard a rumor (but never tested it
myself) that X runs a lot faster if you turn off EVERYTHING (including
your
windowmanager) in X when you want to run a screen update intensive
appliction.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org