Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:52:58 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        Mitch Vincent <mitch@venux.net>, FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Clocks!

> Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:34:39 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, John Galt wrote:
>
> > NTP and/or ntpdate
> >
> > On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Mitch Vincent wrote:
> >
> > > How are most of you keeping your clocks accurate? I'm noticing that on some
> > > of the machines here we are as much as 16 minutes off actual time.. What's
> > > the best (and most secure) way to keep a clock in sync with the rest of the
> > > world?
>
> I've been using xntpd. Seems to work just fine.

While xntp works fairly well, it was an experimental version of ntp
(as indicated by the 'x'). You should really convert to ntp. (But read
the documentation on the configuration, especially if are connected to
a GPS or other reference clock.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)