Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2011 17:21:59 +0200
From:      Moritz Wilhelmy <moritz@wzff.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, moritz@wzff.de
Subject:   Re: Passing additional options to jail(8) via rc.conf

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:59:48 +0200, Moritz Wilhelmy wrote:
> if it really is impossible to pass parameters like ip4=inherit to
> jail(8) via the rc.conf mechanism, I consider this a serious limitation.
> Can I possibly make this a feature request? :)

Alright, just for the record, apparently there is a (suspended) PR
(conf/142972) which requests /etc/rc.d/jail to be switched over to "new
style" jail(8) invocation (with -c/-m parameters), which, unlike
"old-style" invocation supports passing additional parameters, which has
worked for me in the past, when done by hand. On previous servers, I
ended up putting something in my rc.local, but as already mentioned, I'd
very much prefer the rc.conf-sugar.

This PR was filed about a year ago, and I'm a bit disappointed, because
one of the main reasons for me to pick FreeBSD was the jail support,
which is pretty amazing if you ask me, if only there was a way to start
them *with* parameters... :-(

Please do something. I know freebsd-questions is the wrong list for this
(so I will be posting it to freebsd-jail as well), but my initial post
ended up there. I don't care whether you end up with an /etc/jail.d as
proposed in conf/116416, but IMHO, there should be some *documented*
way, which is officially supported and available on a default
installation of FreeBSD, to start a jail with all parameters advertised
in the manpage.

Please keep me in CC, I am not subscribed to freebsd-jail.

Best regards,

	Moritz