Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 17:55:57 +0200
From:      "Richard Noorlandt" <lists.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Growing UFS beyond 2 TB

2007/5/24, Arne W=F6rner <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>:

> --- Richard Noorlandt <lists.freebsd@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have a suggestion? Or am I overlooking something? I can
> hardly
> > imagine that what I want is very rare, so I think there must be some
> > solution.
> >
> 1. A better implementation for GPT is on its way... I think, the time
> frame was
> "several weeks"... It is in the archive of this list or freebsd-geom@...

Will it be possible to create the tables with the current GPT tool, and
later grow them safely with the new tool when it's available? It'll take
some time before I need the extra TB's, so waiting a few weeks before I can
grow the partitions and FS is no problem. As long as I can grow it without
losing data.

2. I wonder, why u dont just delete all GPT partitions and re-create them
> (after u wrote down offset and size of the previous config)... :-)

Wouldn't this destroy the data that's on the partitions? The problem is tha=
I have no way to backup or temporary store the data on the array. So all
growing must be done without wiping the contents of the FS.

Best regards,

Richard