Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:48:44 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        standards@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -fno-builtin world breaks in gperf

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> writes:
> > These numbers can now be read off from the struct definitions in
> > libc/*/_fpmath.h.
>
> Shouldn't fpmath.h and _fpmath.h live in sys/sys and sys/$ARCH/include
> since they are not specific to libc but rather a characteristic of the
> hardware architecture?  We may want to use them outside libc (in libm,
> for instance).

Maybe.  I looked for them there first :-).  A case can be made for
putting them only in src/lib since the kernel shouldn't care about the
details of FPU registers (some FPU emulators do, but have their own
data structures).  libm also has its own data structures.  It avoids
using bitfields and mostly accesses the registers via high and low
"words" to reduce unportability.  I prefer this, but it doesn't work
so well for 10-byte long doubles.

Bruce