Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:33:54 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-2?Q?Daniel_Dvo=F8=E1k?= <dandee@hellteam.net>
To:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: arpwatch-2.1.a13_2

Hi All,
=20
let me ask you about arpwatch. The port under FreeBSD does not support =
the
important switch -p, which we can find for example in Debian Linux. This
switch is about "don=B4t put to promisccuous mode", which is really =
needed for
example wireless cards, where promisc kills usually the traffic on =
wi-fi.
=20
I am sorry I do not imagine how much work it is, I simple ask, is it
possible to implement this switch (flag) ?
=20
In the Debian Linux, there are anothers useful flags, but of course -p =
is
the most important one, here they are:
=20
       =20
        (Debian) The -s flag is used to specify the path to the sendmail
program.  Any program that takes the option -odi and then text from =
stdin
can  be
       substituted. This is useful for redirecting reports to log files
instead of mail.
=20
       (Debian) The -p flag disables promiscuous operation.  ARP =
broadcasts
get through hubs without having the interface in promiscuous mode, while
sav-
       ing considerable resources that would be wasted on processing
gigabytes of non-broadcast traffic.  OTOH, setting promiscuous mode  =
does
not  mean
       getting 100% traffic that would concern arpwatch .  YMMV.
=20
       (Debian) -a By default, arpwatch reports bogons (unless -N is =
given)
for IP addresses that are in the same subnet than the first IP address =
of
the
       default interface.  If this option is specified, arpwatch will =
report
bogons about every IP addresses.
=20
       (Debian) The -m option is used to specify the e-mail address to =
which
reports will be sent.  By default, reports are sent to  root  on  the  =
local
       machine.
=20
       (Debian) The -u flag instructs arpwatch to drop root privileges =
and
change the UID to username and GID to the primary group of username .  =
This
is
       recommended for security reasons, but username has to have write
access to the default directory.
=20
       (Debian) The -R flag instructs arpwatch to restart in seconds =
seconds
after the interface went down.  By default, in  such  cases  arpwatch  =
would
       print an error message and exit.  This option is ignored if =
either
the -r or -u flags are used.
=20
       (Debian) The -Q flags prevents arpwatch from sending reports by =
mail.
=20
       (Debian) The -z flag is used to set a range of ip addresses to =
ignore
(such as a DHCP range). Netmask is specified as 255.255.128.0.

Please, I just ask, do not shoot me, thanks :)
=20
Daniel

  _____ =20

avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com>; : Odchozi zprava cista.=20

Virova databaze (VPS): 0552-2, 29.12.2005
Testovano: 30.12.2005 5:33:54