Date:      Tue, 9 May 1995 13:35:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pdksh choading on exec command

> > [pdksh dying on 'exec'ed shell scripts]
>
> [reason why direct ivocation of exec logged me out]
>
> What happens if you type /usr/bin/clear?

[wsantee:~] 4 $ /usr/bin/clear
/usr/bin/clear: 21: syntax error: Bad substitution

[wsantee:~] 5 $ cat /usr/bin/clear
#!/bin/sh -
# lots of comments
exec tput clear

[wsantee:~] 5 $ sh `exec tput clear`
(screen clears)

[wsantee:~] 6 $ ksh `exec tput clear`
(screen clears)
: No such file or directory

[wsantee:~] 7 $ ksh `exec tput clear` 2> stderr.txt
[wsantee:~] 8 $ cat stderr.txt
ksh: ^[[;H^[[2J: No such file or directory

Actually the behavior for commands 6-8 was more expected than command
5 (i.e. no error message).  I would have thought that sh would try to
execute the clear screen sequence the same as ksh (and csh, although
not shown above) and error out because the ansi sequence isn't a
command.

The next step for me is to blow away my login environment and see how
bare ksh functions.  If that doesn't rat out the error, I guess it's
time to go to the source.  Thanks for all your help.

BTW, if the Reply-To address is munged again, please let me know.  It
was quite a surprise to me to find out the header was damaged when all
the bouncer addresses I tested mail with said everything was just
fine.  I've done what I can to fix the problem.

Cheers,
-Wes
wsantee@wsantee.oz.net