Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:13:55 +0000
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <FST777@phreaker.net>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When does it make sense for a company to open-source its code?

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 11:24:00PM -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
: On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 01:21:05AM +0100 I heard the voice of
: Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek, and lo! it spake thus:
: >
: > All the advantages will point to the fact that behind every Open Source
: > software-project a huge supporting community stands. That is always a nice
: > idea for a company.
:
: Behing every _SUCCESSFUL_ open source software project, is how that
: should read.
:
: One of Terry's favorite themes to harp on; that community is the biggest
: asset of an open source project, but you can't magic a community into
: being by waving a magic wand and saying, "Abracadabra, this code is open
: source."

Well, that's true.  Anyone interested in using the code would need our
instrument, or something a lot like it.  That would imply we would have a
small community, especially since up until now our software has been Windows
based.

Jonathon
--
For Sale: French Army rifle.  Never fired, dropped once.