Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:15:02 +0200
From:      Lukas Razik <freebsd@razik.name>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Issue with 7.0-RELEASE and Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Hello Jeremy,

thanks for your always fast answer!

On Thursday 04 September 2008 20:15:49 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 07:45:00PM +0200, Lukas Razik wrote:
> > So I also would like to try more current 7.0-STABLE-200808 but there's
> > still no new snapshot for the amd64 architecture on your ftp server:
> > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/200808/
> > Are there no relevant changes done to amd64?
>
> Oh, there are many changes, but the snapshots for August were suspended
> for i386 and amd64 due to a cpio vs. GNU cpio problem.  Do not bother
> trying the snapshots from July either, as they will fail during
> installation (cpio problems; the bin/base/etc. archives are broken
> and will spit out millions of errors on expansion).
>
> The only place right now which has newer snapshots (September), which
> should work fine:
>
> http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/

This source is very nice! It's too bad that there are no mirrors... :-)

I've tried the newest snapshot and as you told it works fine! :-)
My onboard NICs are recognized now and I can use them without any problems.
It's interesting because I've seen no changes in the last days here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/re/if_re.c

However, this issue is solved for me and also another one which I haven't
mentioned yet. Because when I wanted to install 7.0-RELEASE from CD then there
came the FreeBSD boot menu with a timer which runs from 10 to 0 seconds, you
know...
But there was a bug in the past: The timer didn't work (only the cursor under
the time value "10" has blinked very fast) and I had to play with my [ESC],
[SPACE], [ENTER] keys to push the boot process...
Now in 7.0-RELENG_7-20080905-JPSNAP the timer also works fine.

BTW: As I wrote you some weeks ago, I wanted to buy a HighPoint RocketRAID
3120 card, run some benchmarks under FreeBSD and tell you the results. I have
the card for some hours now but it isn't recognized by 7.0-RELENG_7-20080905-
JPSNAP...
I will start a new thread for this issue but at first I want to test it with
the newest RELENG_7 kernel from CVS...

Regards and Many Thanks again for your help!
Lukas