Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2018 15:23:44 +0300
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PRs are being closed for bogus reasons :-(

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 9:41 AM, Kristoffer Eriksson <ske@pkmab.se> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2018 at 17:27, Kristof Provost wrote:
> > On 1 Jun 2018, at 17:09, Warner Losh wrote:
> >> Well, not quite true. I've had several people send me pointers to
> >> bugs over the years and engage me when I tell them that the patch
> >> isn't quite right.
> >> That conversation is easier, to my mind, in Phabricator, though.
> >> There's no substitute for making good connections and motivating
> >> volunteers to want to help you. That gives much better results
> >> than filing and forgetting and hoping for the best. As a committer,
> >> I find it a low return on investment to go looking at random PRs.
> >> I find it a much higher return on investment when I have a history
> >> with someone (even a short one).
> > For better or worse, the fact is that both patches and bug reports
> > fare better if their submitter actively advocates for them.
> >
> > I don't mean to suggest that it is somehow the fault of the submitter
> > if bugs don't get fixed. Instead I want to point at this as something
> > people can do to help, even if they don't have commit access, or even
> > if they don't know how to read or write code.
>
> As a submitter of a few bug reports in bugzilla, it would have been
> extremely useful to me if there had been some hints somewhere in the
> bug report submission process about what I could do to follow up and
> promote that report (or fix) to relevant people or forums, in stead
> of only finding that out much later when asking on the mailing list
> for any response.
>
> As a first-time submitter, you naturally assume that after submitting
> a good detailed bug report, your job is done, and that there is
> really nothing more you can do (for those who are not able to fix
> the bug themselves). Nothing in bugzilla gives any reason to think
> otherwise (as far as I remember). And that is very misleading.
>
> Maybe(?) there is some information about that somewhere else, but
> you really can't read absolutely everything there is in the whole
> project before submitting a bug report.
>
> - Also, for those who are able to also submit patches together with
> their bug reports, maybe more could be done to guide them on how to
> improve their patches on the way to a more committable state? But
> preferrably not in a way that discourages people from submitting
> anything at all.
>
> I would guess that many times, a patch submitted by a bug reporter
> may just be meant to serve as a proof or example that the bug is
> real and goes away if certain changes are made to the source code,
> and not necessarily as a production quality committable fix. Or
> anything in between those two. Even then, having a patch should be
> much better than having nothing, for the maintainer (or who-ever
> tries to fix the bug) to work with, but not necessarily meant to be
> committed as-is.
>
> Maybe it would be helpful if the submitter would be asked to self-
> grade what they think their patch is good for, on some kind of scale?
> [...]

In FreeBSD Handbook
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

there is an item

4.8. Dealing with Broken Ports
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-broken.html

In that item , the following sentences are written :

"
When a port does not build or install, try the following:

    Search to see if there is a fix pending for the port in the Problem
Report database.
    If so, implementing the proposed fix may fix the issue.

If there is no response to the email, use Bugzilla to submit a bug report
using
the instructions in Writing FreeBSD Problem Reports.
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/article.html

"

In any other place , there is no any information about
how to write an informative e-mail about problems or
how to submit a bug report .

Is there a possibility to insert  items such as

2.11. Submitting e-mails to FreeBSD mailing lists about problems
2.12. Submitting Problem Reports

under

2.Installing FreeBSD

My opinion is that , these items will be very helpful for the new comers and
suitably written e-mails and bug reports for the developers .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk