Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 22:56:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        BOB WRIGHT <pelagic@webtv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring for Ether

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, BOB WRIGHT wrote:

> I have FreeBSD installled on my Gateway 2000 P133 machine.  I have a
> cabletron 16bit ISA ethernet card which works under Win3.x.

Is this card NE2000 compatible?  If not, I don't think we support it.

> How do I configure FreeBSD to use the card?  Do I go into the kernel
> set-up and configure dev ed0 for the card?  If so, assuming the card's
> IRQ is 12, what would be the steps I type to set the kernel?

If you're using the GENERIC kernel or one you built the ed0 device
into, Just type '-c' at the Boot: prompt and configure ed0.  If not,
you'll need to build a kernel with the device ed0 ... line in it.  The
reference line is in GENERIC or LINT.  For this case, just change the
settings to match your card (the memio parameter doesn't apply to NE2000
compatible cards, just leave it at the default).