Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 2014 05:44:45 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file systems

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:38:47 -0300
Friedrich Locke <friedrich.locke@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> i am in need to install *BSD on a 16T partition. I would like to OBSD, but
> someone from the OBSD community told me that altough OBSD uses ufs2, fsck
> would take to much time and memory against this partition.
>
> I wonder if FBSD can really handle large partition with no side effects.
> What FS should i use with FBSD?

	I would strongly suggest using ZFS for a partition of that size the
data integrity protection becomes more and more important the larger the
file system. By ZFS standards 16TB is quite small.

	If the data is of any real value then you really want to be using
some kind of protection I would go for being protected against two drive
failures on that scale (RAIDZ2 in ZFS, RAID6 on a hardware RAID, or a three
way mirror but that would use a lot of drives). If you do go with ZFS don't
use a hardware RAID let ZFS manage the drives.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>