Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2003 20:32:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Helge Oldach <iuidas73123@oldach.net>
To:        jhs@berklix.com (Julian H. Stacey)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN4BSD Modems & Cards

Julian H. Stacey:
> > "Brad" writes:
> > > Is there a performance benefit using an ISDN card with i4b over an ISDN TA?

Apart from the issues mentioned already there is a minor encapsulation
gain. While on an external TA you usually can run HDLC encapsulation
with byte stuffing only, an internal card would allow for bit stuffing
which is slightly more efficient.

In practice however the delta is so small that it's probably not worth
explaining the difference. :-) It does matter only if you utilize the
link at full speed with true binary data (precisely, with a randomly
distributed amount of 0x7E patterns).

>      adding price of 2 beers at bar prices, & next time
>      Hellmuth visits Munich I'll buy him a beer.

Hellmuth, being used to north Germany beer strength, will probably need
both in Bavarian beers for a noticable effect. :-)

Helge