Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2010 01:44:17 +0200
From:      Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which OS for notebook

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 6:11 AM, Leandro F Silva <fsilvaleandro@gmail.com> w=
rote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Which OS are you using on your notebook, FreeBSD / Linux or MAC ?
> Also, can you tell us the hardware, Sony / HP etc..
>
> Thank you !

Linux Mandriva 2010 on my notebook (Dell 1318) and Mandriva 2010.1 on
my netbook (Compaq mini CQ10-120LA) ...

I need ACPI to work as expected and no BSD can give me that, and the
same goes for wireless cards support .. forget bout bluetotth ...
besides, dumping a Linux .iso image in a USB stick to give it a go on
my notebook/netbook to try it out before installing was incredibly
more easy than doing so with BSD images as most major Linux
distributions provide Win/Linux GUI tools to do so (The Mandriva tool
will ask you to select an .iso image and a USB ... point, click, you
are done ... Fedoras tool will even allow you to create a a separate
partition on the same USB device to store your files should you choose
not to install the OS).

Linux (as much as I don=B4t like it) is years ahead of BSD=B4s in that rega=
rds ...

And, oh yeah .. native UTF-8 tty=B4s and KVM make a huge difference.

FreeBSD has been relegated to my desktop (which I have come to use
only ocassionally, and servers).

Best Regards
Gonzalo Nemmi