Date:      08 Sep 2002 17:33:00 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CONCLUSION] What to do about Mozilla

--=-f1Q5/3Z3Cz1FNKhCgCv1

On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 16:39, Pat Lashley wrote:
> --On Sunday, September 08, 2002 02:58:32 PM -0400 Joe Marcus Clarke=20
> <marcus@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> > On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 05:49, Pat Lashley wrote:
> >> --On Sunday, September 08, 2002 02:08:38 AM -0400 Joe Marcus Clarke

> >> I hand edited the +CONTENTS files, but then after a cvsup and index
> >> rebuild, portversion showed my 1.1 mozilla ports as being downrev of t=
he
> >> 1.0_2,1  ports.
> >> And when I upgraded the XFree86 ports to 4.2.0 the recursive update
> >> downgraded
> >> my mozilla ports back to 1.0_2,1.
> >>
> >> I had written a section outlining how I was only seeing one copy of th=
> >> mozilla ports in the INDEX and what I thought the problem was; but it
> >> turns out that somehow my INDEX.db was noticably newer than the INDEX
> >> itself.  I've re-cvsupp'd and re-built the indexes and now I see both.
> >> So I'll retract my claim that the split is unfinished.
> >>

> >> But now I've got the old versions installed; and don't see any clean w=
ay
> >> to upgrade to the new ones.  (I do not consider manual pkg_deinstall a=
nd
> >> portinstall to be clean.)  I've tweaked the origin in the +CONTENTS
> >> files; but that doesn't seem to make any difference at this point.  (A=
nd
> >> is, I suspect, actually counter-productive.)  I have a feeling that no
> >> matter what I do, I'll wind up with both versions installed...
> >
> > Can you explain the "old" and "new" versions.  Are you referring to
> > mozilla-embedded-devel and mozilla-headers-devel  If so, I committed a
> > fix yesterday to correct their split.  That may be what you were seeing
> > previously.
>=20
> I meant the 1.0 versions vs the 1.1 versions.  I have all three ports
> (mozilla, -headers, and -embedded) installed.  I had updated them to
> the 1.1 versions when that change was committed.  When you posted that
> you were backing that out, I avoided further updates until the dust had
> settled a bit and the -devel versions were available.  Then I added
> '-devel' to the origins of the installed ports.  Even then, I did not
> try to directly update the mozilla ports; they were caught in a -recursiv=
> on the XFree86 ports.
>=20
> The unexpected downgrade was probably caused by whatever went silently
> wrong with the index updates after the cvsup.  (There is a small but
> non-zero probability that I failed to run the 'portsdb --updateindex
> --update')

This problem should be fixed now.  That is, mozilla-*-devel should point
to the correct master dir (i.e. mozilla-devel), and updates for them
should work as expected.

>=20
> The oldest files in any of /var/db/pkg/mozilla-* are timestamped Sept
> 5 5:51 (Pacific time).  The portsupgrade would have been started right
> after the cvsup and (probable) index rebuild.
>=20
> There are no +REQUIRED_BY files in the -headers or -embedded dirs; so
> manual de-install and re-install should work fine for them.  And, rather
> surprisingly, the only entry for mozilla itself is the flashplugin, which
> should probably be re-built anyway.
>=20
> Am I correct in believing that the mozilla and mozilla-headers installs
> should be kept in sync; but need not match mozilla-embedded ?  (E.g.,
> Install mozilla-1.1, mozilla-headers-1.1, mozilla-embedded-1.0; but not
> mozilla-1.1, mozilla-headers-1.0, mozilla-embedded-1.0.)

Your headers should match the API you care about.  If you want to build
dependent applications on mozilla-1.1, you will need
mozilla-headers-devel.  If you want those dependent apps to use the
embedded mozilla-1.1 API, then also have mozilla-embedded-devel
installed.  If, however, you want to use mozilla-1.1 as your primary
browser, but have mozilla-embedded-1.0 around for Galeon, you will want
mozilla-embedded and mozilla-headers.

If all you want to do is have a browser, then you don't need -headers at
all.

Joe

>=20
>=20