Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:57:24 +0100
From:      Steven Moix <steven.moix@axianet.ch>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing on a PC164LX

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to FreeBSD and have a serious installation problem
on my PC164 box: I can't slice/label my disk.

At boot I can see that my disk is recognized (a SCSI disk on a
Symbios Logic controller, nothing special here):
da0 at sym0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <SEAGATE ST39216N 0010> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
da0: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 16)
da0: 8761MB

When I follow the standard FreeBSD installation procedure as
explained in the handbook I simply can't initialize my disk. As I
understand, there is no fdisk-step on the alpha architecture, so I
should directly use disklabel to create my partitions. The problem is
that my disk doesn't show up in the usual disklabel selection
area...any clue why? The disk is perfectly visible on a RedHat/Gentoo
Linux installation so it isn't a hardware problem.

Thanks

Steven