Date:      Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:08:57 -0500
From:      Ron McDowell <rcm@fuzzwad.org>
To:        Erik Sallmann <erik.sallmann@stud.fh-regensburg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Google Summer of Code

Erik Sallmann wrote:
> Hi,
> I posted this already on embedded@. I hope I can find someone who can
> give me some advice on this list.
> I'm a student at the University of Applied Sciences in Regensburg,
> Germany. I'm studying computer engineering and would like to
> participate in gsoc2011.
> I'm especially interested in your embedded project of creating a "NAND
> Flash driver support". Originally, I wanted to apply at the NetBSD
> Project and suggest to port it to a new plattform (SheevaPlug). But as
> I've seen there's already a lot of code in the CVS and as it's not
> possible to run any of the BSDs from flash, I would like to apply for
> this project. It would still be a necessary contribution to the efforts
> of porting them to the SheevaPlug.
> I would like to discuss this Project in my diploma thesis.
> So what i need to know is whether it's still an undone task and whether
> it would be enough work to cover it in a thesis. And as I've already
> written to "imp" and he told me that he doesn't have time this year, i
> would be very grateful if someone could be my mentor. :-)
>
> Kind regards
>
> Erik

Hi Erik, I'm afraid I wouldn't be much of a mentor but I will be
cheering from the sidelines and happy to beta anything you come up
with.  This would be a big plus for all the BSDs.  I have an original
Sheeva that I had a tftp+nfs version of FreeBSD running on, that's
available for testing.  As soon as I find it again, that is...now which
drawer did I stuff that thing in... :)

--
Ron McDowell
San Antonio TX