Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 17:35:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, "R.I.Pienaar" <rip@pinetec.co.za>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux user meta port

Hi guys,

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Matthew Hunt wrote:

> If you want Linux people to feel comfortable, why not just
> "cd /usr/ports && make install"?
>
> Just kidding, sort of.

This would certainly take care of RedHat users.  :-)

In general though I think this port is a good idea, but other than the
obvious "bash" (I assume you're using the bash2 port) I wouldn't know what
else to add to it that you haven't already listed other than pine which
someone else mentioned.

Just installing bash won't help in some ways though - the user's default
shell will still be csh unless they change it themselves and I'm not
convinced that all users even know how to change their shell...  There
should probably be a long text file associated w/ this and a post-install
command like

$ECHO "Please read the file${PREFIX}/share/doc/former-linux-user.txt"
$ECHO "to see what has been installed and how to best replicate your"
$ECHO "previous Linux environment."

Brett
Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *