Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:34:53 -0600
From:      Tillman <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Sparc64 <sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   38400 serial boot console through all stages of boot?

Howdy,

Now that I have the serial boot console and a login getty working, I
wanted to move them to 38400 from teh default 9600. The short story is
that it works until it mounts root, then I get garbage like this:

xx|xx@x|@x@xxx@@|xxxxx@x||x|x@xxx|x@x@|x|x||x|@x|x|xx|xx@x|@|x|x| (etc)

Which I assume is do a serial speed mismatch. After a little bit of
time, the computer finishes booting and I'm presented with a working
serial login.

Here's a rough synopsis of what happens:

Timecounters tick every 0.976 msec
IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
IP Filter: v3.4.31 initialized.  Default = pass all, Logging = enabled
ad0: 8223MB <ST38410A> [16708/16/63] at ata2-master WDMA2
acd0: CDROM <CRD-8322B> at ata3-master PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0a
|xx@x|x|x@x@x|@xx|x@xxxx|@@|@xx@|xpx@@xx|xx@ (etc)
FreeBSD/sparc64 (caliban.rospa.ca) (ttyb)
login:

The parts that work at 38400:

* Getting into the Sparc firmware via ~# in tip
* Getting into the loader
* The kernel messages regarding hardware
* The getty to login

To set this up, I've:
* Set ttyb setenv'd as the input and output devices and the speed set to
  38400 in the Sparc firmware
* Set BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED= 38400 in /etc/make.conf
* Set options CONSPEED=38400 in my kernel config file
* cd /usr/src && time make buildkernel && make installkernel
* cd /usr/src/sys/boot && make all install clean
* sunlabel -B ad0

Am I missing something?

-T

--
"As promised, 0.4.1 is now available, and hopefully I managed to conceal
the bugs with great skill. However,  I'm sure there are bugs that I've