Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:35:30 +0200
From:      Jerome Herman <jherman@dichotomia.fr>
To:        Lars Eighner <stableuser@larseighner.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making world but no kernel

On 26/07/2011 15:01, Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011, Jerome Herman wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to know if it is possible to rebuild world, but without
>> upgrading or even compiling the kernel.
>>
>> The problem is such : I am presently working on a FreeBSD station
>> that seems to have quite a lot of problem, notably with fsck. I am
>> starting to wonder whether this BSD station was properly installed,
>> or if some of the system tools were pasted from older FreeBSD setup.
>
> You should look into the problems you have without borrowing trouble.
>
>> Since the machine is in a remote location, I would prefer to avoid
>> full reinstall if possible. Among other things, single user mode is
>> not available.
>

>> So I was wondering, if I get the full sources with sysinstall, can I
>> make buildworld and then installworld without going through the
>> kernel phase or would this be a bad idea ?
>
> You do not have to enter single user mode to make kernel.  You "should"
> enter single user mode to install world.  And in any event, you have
> to be
> able to reboot the machine.
>
> Actually, it is not absolutely necessary to enter single-user mode to
> install world, but you have to kick all the users off, shut down the
> daemons, and sync the discs.  This can be difficult and error-prone.  And
> you have to be able to reboot the machine.  If you can reboot the
> machine, I
> don't quite understand why you cannot enter single-user mode.
>
> I strongly suggest you document the problems you are having with fsck and
> any other system tools to obtain an accurate diagnosis of those problems.
I sure wil if the problem arises in a "sane" environment. But here, I
realized that my setup was twisted, probably due to an unholy mix of
FreeBSD versions.
I do not want to get people to try to figure out a problem that only
arise when people installing the OS where drunk.

Right now I am at step one : "make sure your system looks like something
we might be able to support". This box is supposed to be a 8.2, so I am
trying hard to make it a real 8.2.
Step two will be "make a long and clever bug report stating everything
you did and what you expected in result"
Step three "Find the bug, submit a patch, be the hero of the day" will
be someone else... sadly.