Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:40:56 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon 9600 SE & OpenGL?

Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> >> Any way to get OpenGL working w/ an ATI Radeon SE? I use a fresh FreeBSD
> >> 4-STABLE with XFree86-4.3.99. The kernel does not probe anything, dmesg |
> >> egrep '(drm|agp|dri)' gives nothing.
> >>
> >> I guess this card in unsupported? Will it become supported anytime soon?
> >> Can I do something to help, besides hacking, which I unfortunately don't
> >> have time to. :(

> > It works very well with your configuration. You have to do 2 things
> > to get it working:
> >
> > 1. Add PCI device ID to sys/dev/drm/radeon_drv.c:
> > http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-bugs_2003/msg05970.html
>
> Sounds great, only it is a 9600, the patch talk about 9200?

Ops, where were my eyes...
Yes, it's about 9200. I hope similar hack it will work with 9600 for you.

> Here's relevant info from pciconf -vl
>
> none10@pci3:0:0:        class=0x030000 card=0xc0041043 chip=0x41511002
> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'ATI Technologies'
>     class    = display
>     subclass = VGA
> none11@pci3:0:1:        class=0x038000 card=0xc0051043 chip=0x41711002
> rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'ATI Technologies'
>     class    = display
>
> Which is relevant, 0x4171 or 0x4151? Will it work? I'll try it tonight.

It seems you have two chips on card. Generally, the larger value matters.
The lesser may be secondary chip on VIVO card.

> > 2. Include device agp and device radeondrm in your kernel configuration
> >    and rebuild the kernel.
>
> They are already in there - the kernel still doesn't detect it...  The
> correct PCI device ID is not in the driver...
>
> Also, do I need "kldload radeon" when I have
>
> device          agp
> device          radeondrm
>
> in the kernel? is radeon.ko and radeondrm same same or different?

It's the same. If you are going to make experiments, I'd suggest to
keep agp in the kernel and exclude radeondrm. Make changes to the code,
recompile a module, not a kernel and unload/reload radeon.ko.

Eugene