Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 14:22:47 +0200
From:      HEIN Martin <Martin.HEIN@maxmobil.at>
To:        FreeBSD-ISDN@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Some fundamentals

Hi,

Recently, I've setup a FreeBSD 3.1 box with a 3COM/USR Sportster ISDN TA,
by now the system is up and running, except for some small part: I failed
to configure PPP over ISDN propperly!

My questions are:

   - When do I use 'ppp', and when should 'pppd' be used (or do I need
     both of them simultaneously)?
   - Which configuration files are needed (/etc/ppp/ppp.conf, /etc/ppp/
	 options, ...)?
   - How do I turn on VanJacobson-compression?
   - How do I turn off LCP-compression?
   - How is it accomplished to use both, file and DNS (in exactly this
	 order: '/etc/resolv.conf: lookup file dns' seems not to work)?

Tia,
Martin