Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:57:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        rogermiller <rogermiller@alumni.union.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems running lpd (both via rc.conf and directly)

[Please wrap your text at 72 columns, thanks.]

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, rogermiller wrote:

> I'm having a problem running lpd. I just installed FreeBSD 4.9 on a
> new Pentium I, and set up printing. Following the instructions in
> Section 11.3 of the Handbook, I added the following line to
> /etc/rc.conf:
>  lpd_enable="YES"
>
> However, this does not turn on lpd, even when I reboot.

Well, that's not the only thing you need for printing.  You also need to
have /etc/printcap configured.  And the spool directory needs to be
created.

> Furthermore, when I su to root, and issue the "lpd" command, it prints
> whatever I have in print queue, but when everything is printed, and I
> try issuing another lpr command, I get the following error message:
>
> lpr: Unable to connect /var/run/printer: Socket operation on non-socket

A Google of the mailing list shows that this message is what happens
when you have mistakenly created a directory called /var/run/printer.
That may not be the only way to get the error, though.