Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 2020 13:01:44 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mozilla Crasher

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 09:10:23 +0100, Graham Bentley wrote:
>Have done two installs to ext usb ssd from most recent .iso, one
>several weeks ago from packages adding as I went along. The second a
>few days ago from same disc but adding all the packages I needed at
>once. In both cases updated / upgraded packages very recently. On the
>first, Firefox runs like a champ and is rock sold, on the second it
>crashes badly and takes down X with Fatal IO Error. Where would I
>start trying to figure out; * What is the difference between the two
>installs * How to track down the cause of the crashes * How to fix it
>so I can use Firefox Thanks a mill!

Starting points are:

1. assuming the SSD and the SSD's casing, IOW the firmware of the
casing's USB to SATA controller are ok and there's no
notification/excuse related to the used version of Firefox on the
Mozilla homepage then:

2. run Firefox in "--safe-mode" to "Disables extensions and themes
for this session"

3. run Firefox using a new, IOW clean profile via "--ProfileManager"

4. run Firefox as a brand new FreeBSD user, create a new FreeBSD user
and don't log out and then in as the new user, but better restart the
computer.

Assuming step 1 is verified, then even if step 2 and 3 might gain
absolutely nothing, Firefox might work (at least better) when
continuing with step 4, the new FreeBSD user.

This is at least what I experienced in some cases with Firefox running
on Linux. I experience Firefox on different operating systems as
unstable in general since years. I'm using FreeBSD way to seldom to
comment on Firefox on FreeBSD. Anyway, on Linux, iOs and iPadOS it's
simply not a reliable Internet browser. It was stable a decade or so
ago on Linux.