Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2019 06:43:33 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Allen Schaaf <netsecurity@sound-by-design.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I've got a major question...

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 12:36:57 -0700, Allen Schaaf wrote:
> I'm not familiar with wine. Where would you suggest I get the
> info needed?

Wine is a way to run "Windows" programs on Linux and FreeBSD
(and other systems). This is its homepage:

	https://www.winehq.org/

It's very convenient to provide specific environments for
"Windows" programs (see "winecfg" program) so no "Windows" is
needed. It works for "boring office applications" as well as
for games, as long as there isn't too much actual "Windows"
interfaces required.

On the FreeBSD side, it's usually

	# pkg install wine

and then use

	% winecfg

as a user to create / configure the required environment.
After that, you just do

	% wine MYPROG.EXE

from a terminal (to observe possible errors on the way).

> My goal is to test in parallel for at least a couple
> of months. It's a bit tricky to do this as one can not enter the
> data twice.

Maybe you can arrange the provision of a test account that
will not be subject to actual banking operations, but can
be used for experiments?

> My thinking is to, first of all, create a couple of
> duplicate accounts - same person but assigned a different account
> number with a note as to which one is entered with which system.

This should also be possible. Keep in touch with your "people
up the pipe" to make sure this won't cause any mess. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany