Date:      Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:16:20 +0200
From:      "DA Forsyth" <d.forsyth@ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinion request about a file server

On 8 Jun 2009 , freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org entreated about
 "freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 262, Issue 2":

> Message: 13
> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 09:18:09 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>

> > SO, to the original question, yes that motherboard will work just
> > fine.   What are you doing for system backups?  A single drive is not
> > enough.  I recommend a mirror pair at least, and suggest a second box
>
> why? it's a backup system not main system.

>From his original it seemd he would be using a single drive for the
system and a mirror pair for data.  Seems I got it wrong and the
single drive will be for 'some other purpose'.   Fine, but all the
more reason to back it up.

A backup server is not the place to avoid data security.  From
personal experience I can tell you that life is hell when your backup
drives are needed but don't work.  My backup server has a mirror pair
for the data, and that gets copied to an external drive which lives
off site.  And I'm not sure I've got enough backups.... yet (-:

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research