Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 15:15:19 -0600
From:      jhupp@gensys.com (Jeff)
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: reliable modems?

spork writes:
: --> you said:
: >
: > Rows of single modems may not look as cool, but they usually make more
: > sense.
:
: I can't agree with this...  Just figuring out a way to *power* 200
: modems in a standalone config is a nightmare.
:
: Why do I say all this?  I'm in charge of 200 stand alone modems.
: Nightmare, nightmare, nightmare.  I won't even start on the Xylogics
: RA4000....
:

	There is a solution available from texas.net for the USR Courier.  A
single, rack mount, power supply that will support 32 modems.  Racks for the
modems themselves (after being removed from the case) are also available.
This is a very nice way to package them.  If you want to move the modems
around (after moving to a MAX or two, all you have to do is put them back in
the cases.)

	I have this solution in use with 270 modems and don't have the
problems you describe with modems hanging up.  Granted, I am using
Livingston portmasters, not the Xylogics RA4000....

--
Jeff Hupp <jhupp@gensys.com>|  Coffee is Life.
PGP public key available at http://www.gensys.com/jeffskey.asc