Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 20:06:47 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        m230761@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My opinion about freebsd (fwd)

   Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:05:16 -0700
   From: Pedro Giffuni <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>

   That's just one of the reasons to use FreeBSD and not Linux. Some things
   (like the kernel) are better with a Berkeley-like license, and some
   things (some apps.) are better with GPL.

Why would some things be better with the GPL and some with the BSD license?

   In the free world, if you spend years developing your high quality tool,
   and lots of persons will benefit from it, it's only fair that you
   receive a part of that benefit. The existance of a GNU license only
   forces a good quality in the final products: if you find a free utility
   that does all you need you will not buy the commercial version.

So why shouldn't kernels have the same protection?

   When someone buys a M$ OS, he is buying the usability which started this
   thread. In this sense SCO and the other UNIX resellers seem to have
   accepted they can't beat win-95, their competidor is NT. In this sense I
   think it is dishonest to say to the end user that FreeBSD will replace
   his win-95 box (although it did for some of us) as it is dishonest to
   say that win-NT is more usable than all unices (although it's true for
   some).

windows 95 is usable?  I found getting networking to work on it was
much more difficult than getting networking working on Linux...

I don't think you're buying usablity.  I don't think people conciously
choose Microsoft over a free system.  Microsoft has arranged to be
the default choice, and their marketing people promise more.

But you can't force a person to be free.