Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:42:11 +0000
From:      Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linking problems with gcc 3.4.2 and glibc on 5.3-stable

Well it started out with me getting a complaint from a user on my
server saying he couldnt compile psybnc since I upgraded to 5.3 I told
him I would investigate when I get time, I then found out later that
ezbounce also failed (i use ezbounce) on 5.3, but my binary which was
backed up from when I compiled on 5.2.1 works fine.  I also heard from
many friends on irc that psybnc doesnt work with 5.3 so obviously the
problem is wide spread and it was one reason why a lot of shell
companies were not upgrading from 4.x yet.  I then decided to try
psybnc myself and this is what happens using gcc 3.4.2 bundled with
5.3.

Initializing bouncer compilation
[*] Running Conversion Tool for older psyBNC Data.
tools/convconf.c: In function `cofile':
tools/convconf.c:81: error: label at end of compound statement
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/chrysalis/psybnc.

I can duplicate this problem every single time on any 5.3 box it has a
100% failure rate so I would be interested to know how psybnc worked
for you, however if I install gcc 3.3.6 and then edit the top line in
Makefile to cc =3D gcc33 then it compiles fine. I will as you suggest
try a later gcc in the 3.4.x branch as there is newer version then
what is bundled in 5.3 and I will report back. I havent test ezbounce
with 3.3.6 yet.

Chris