Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:58:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brad Miele <bmiele@ipnstock.com>
To:        Sebastian Koehler <acex5@syncer.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with HP MSA 1500cs and DL380

> Hi Brad,
>
> FCA2214 should run firmware 1.45 for hosts other than Windows. Did you
> notice ispfw(4) and isp(4)? They are talking about a different kind of
> firmware for the HBA. Maybe you should rebuild your kernel with
>
>   device isp
>   # For one or more SCSI busses:
>   device scbus0
>   device ispfw
>
> to use the FreeBSD provided firmware.

ahhhh, i think that i am doing this, I am loading ispfw via
/boot/loader.conf .do you think statically compiling it is a better
method?

> Please connect via serial line to the MSA1000 controller. Enter the
> command show TECH_SUPPORT. You can also connect the MSA1000 serial cable
> to the MSA20 serial port and activate the debugging output by pressing
> the TAB key. This would be only helpfull, if we know that on of the
> MSA20 boxes got a problem.
>
> MSA 1000/1500 cs Command Line Interface
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00149849/c00149849.pdf
>
> Page 50 show how to configure a connection profile. You need to set it
> to "Solaris".
> CLI> ADD CONNECTION ABC WWPN=12345678-12345678 PROFILE=SOLARIS

excellent, i have done this on both boxes

> Why do you use 3 I/O Modules in the MSA1500cs? Which MSAx0 is attached
> to which I/O module and to which port? Please check that each MSA30 is
> connected to the SCSI port on the I/O module and MSA20 to a SATA capable
> port.

this is because HP says that you cannot have a SCSI shelf and a SATA shelf
sharing an I/O module, and each Module can only support one scsi
connection. so i have the 2 SATA shelves sharing an I/O Module, and the
SCSI shelves each have their own. the SCSI shelves are on the first two
I/O modules, and the SATA shelves are on the third.

> By the way, its not recommended to spread arrays across different boxes.
> If one box fail, more than an array will be down.

thanks, i will adjust this today, I was concerned that there would be an
issue with having UFS volumes > 2T. Is this not an issue with UFS2?

> Which version of FreeBSD you are running? (uname -a)

FreeBSD bwayipn04.ipnstock.com 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #1: Thu Aug
4 17:31:22 EDT 2005
root@bwayipn04.ipnstock.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BWAYIPN0420050803  i386

I am thinking that I will be upping to 6-Stable at some point when i am on
location in January (the machines are in new york, and i am in Maine). I
am sort of watching the lists for any dl380 shakeout isues with 6 before i
make the leap.

thanks again Sebastian

> Regards,
> Sebastian