Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 08:28:24 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2-R installer bombs because I can't turn UDMA off...

I suspect John-Mark is looking for the "fixit" FLOPPY, not the "fixit" CDROM.

John-Mark, if this does not help, let us know. Don't be put off by airheads
confusing requests for help with requests for put-downs.

-- richard

Mike Meyer wrote:

> John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org> types:
> > Mike Meyer scribbled this message on Mar 15:
> > >
> > > Um - if you can mount the CDROM, you should be able to get to the
> > > fixit cdrom as easily as you get to the fixit floppy.
> >
> > ummm... who said I had the fixit cdrom??  I only have the first cdrom
> > thanks to a friend (Thanks Doug White! :) ), and even if the second
> > cdrom is avail, there is no way I'm downloading a 600meg+ iso image
> > over a 28.8kbps Ricochet..
> >
> > > And yes, it'd be a lot easier if we could get hardware vendors to
> > > install FreeBSD instead of Windows, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
> > ummm.. who said anything about having hardware vendors loading FreeBSD?
> > it wouldn't of helped in this case as I built the machine myself...
>
> You mentioned newbies. That's how newbies get their OS installed - it
> comes with the machine.
>
> People with the gumption to try something else aren't newbies. They
> have to face a bit of adversity, and dealing with hardware that
> requires a bit of tweaking of the software is part of that. The
> hardware manufacturer deals with that for newbies.
>
> The fixit CDROM carries a compilation copyright. You can't legally get
> it without buying a distribution, or having someone give you one of
> the originals.
>
>         <mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>                      http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more information.

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
415.664.6291 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA