Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 2015 00:51:06 +0000
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD STABLE <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is there a linux_base available for RELENG_9?

On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 05:44:55PM -0700, Chris H wrote:
> I performed av svn update for both src (r279796),
> and ports (r380829) last night. building/installing
> world/kernel, went as one would hope. Upgrading ports
> was a different story. Given this box has an nVidia card.
> I usually start by upgrading emulators/linux_base; which
> according to UPDATING; meant linux_base-f10 --> linux_base-c6.
> I deinstalled x11/nvidia-driver, followed by
> emulators/linux_base-f10. I then attempted to make install
> emulators/linux_base-c6, which resulted in a message
> that it wasn't supported. So I simply cd'd to
> emulators/linux_base-f10, followed by make install. Which
> resulted in a CVE message; indicating it was vulnerable
> to glib issues. I'm now stuck w/o hardware support for
> my video card, and unable to effectively follow
> a safe port upgrade path, that enables me to keep the
> options I have chosen for my currently installed ports.
> Is there a *safe* linux_base available?
>
> Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

If you set

sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.18

you can install linux_base-c6 on RELENG_9

It works well enough at least for nvidia-driver, as my main desktop
is 9.3-RELEASE-p9 and has nvidia-driver and linux_base-c6-6.6_3
installed

Remember to put

compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.18

into /etc/sysctl.conf so it's preserved on startup

I believe if you read the message from linux_base-c6 that's basically
what it told you to do.

Regards,

Gary