Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 15:04:14 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Andrew Maltsev <am@px.f1.ru>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        am@f1.ru, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: list of install exclusions for `make world'

> > What about making a user configured list (empty by default) of files
> > which will not be clobbered by `make world'? I think this may be
> > very useful feature. For example my system have some files modified
> > historically and so I have to have post-install script which restores
> > some files (tcp wrappers stuff, editors, shells)..
> >
> > I'm planning to patch `install' to accept exclusions list and have
> > something like /etc/noclobber.conf.
>
> Sounds expensive.
>
> I've started doing a build-limitation system; which allow oyu to build
> only parts of the system.  I think any form of exclusion list should
> probably be integrated here, to avoid having to scan that exclusion
> file for _each_ install command.  There are a _lot_ of them.

No. The file may not present at all for empty list. So it will
be only one additional stat(). Another scenario may be to use
``USE_EXCLUSION_LIST=yes'' in make.conf and some flag to install.
I'm ready to work on it..

But of course if you are planning to do something more universal - it
would be nice. What is estimate time to release some kind of `alpha'?

Andrew.