Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 02:32:38 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: misc/colorls

 * Look in ~jmz/ftpget/. 2 files are copied from /usr/src/release/sysinstall/
 * (ftp.c and ftp.h)

Yes, it compiles fine.  I installed it on my machine as well as thud
to test it.  I'm now doing a "make fetch" on thud to see how it works.

 * It can do that, but it needs to be extensively tested. On the other
 * hand, it probably need to be improved here and there.

Ok, some suggestions:

(1) Print out messages received from the other end.  In particular,
    the ones that tell us why we can't connect (usually "There are
    already 300 ftp users" or some such), is one thing we definitely
    need to show our users.

    Since there is no easy way for the program to distinguish between
    useful information like that and other garbage ("This ftp site is
    sponsored by the generous donation of Moon Mycrosystems"), I
    suggest we print everything out. :)

(2) Can you make it print out the size of the file right after the
    "file: foobar.tar.gz"?  I don't think a full percentage ruler like
    ncftp is necessary, but it will be nice to see how much more we
    need to get.

(3) Also, printing out the transfer rate when we are done is one cool
    thing I miss.  That gives you some idea who's close and who's not.

It seems to be working very well so far.  At least it is able
to handle sites behind firewalls, with wu-ftpd and on-the-fly
packaging, without any special tricks.

If you don't mind, I'll put together a small "package" (this is the
"ports" list after all!) and put it up for ftp for people to try it.

Speaking of trying, what I did was to add the lines

NCFTP=/usr/local/bin/ftpget
NCFTPFLAGS=

to my /etc/make.conf.  This bombs when the port's Makefile explicitly
sets NCFTPFLAGS, but otherwise it allows one to test it without
compromising "make world"-ability (i.e., no modification to
bsd.port.mk, which will be clobbered by "make world").

Satoshi