Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:30:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jens_R=F6der?= <j.roeder@tu-bs.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/50659: reboot causes SRM console to loop endless error and needs to be restetted hard

The following reply was made to PR alpha/50659; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jens_R=F6der?= <j.roeder@tu-bs.de>
To: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc: <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: alpha/50659: reboot causes SRM console to loop endless error
 and needs to be restetted hard
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:28:01 +0200 (METDST)

 Hello Wilko,

 I am sorry for not mentioning the version:

 The machine is an "alphastation 500" from digital and the srm version is
 "V7.2-2".

 It run perfectly under FreeBSD 4.7 but unfortunately the kernel was not
 stable with having probably problems in memory so that I tried the 5.0.
 This signifficantly runs more stalbe as long one does not use ipfw
 command. "ipfw show" sometimes panics the kernel and on the reboot, as
 well as by any other reboot, the srm console gets into an desolate
 condition. Using "halt" works fine as expected.

 I am quite new to all of this stuff, so if you need more detailed
 information, please ask me what to check for.

 with best regards

 Jens

 On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Wilko Bulte wrote:

 > On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 03:59:17AM +0200, j.roeder@tu-bs.de wrote:
 >
 > It would be interesting to know what SRM version you running. I have
 > not seen this on my AS500/266
 >
 > Wilko
 >

 > > >Number:         50659
 > > >Category:       alpha
 > > >Synopsis:       reboot causes SRM console to loop endless error and ne=
 eds to be restetted hard
 > > >Confidential:   no
 > > >Severity:       serious
 > > >Environment:
 > > System: FreeBSD ptchgate.rz.tu-bs.de 5.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE=
 -p7 #1: Mon Mar 31 02:29:29 CEST 2003 root@ptchgate.rz.tu-bs.de:/home/bsd/s=
 rc/sys/alpha/compile/FIREWALL alpha

 > > =09When rebooting the kernel on alphastation 500 the kernel sends proba=
 bly a wrong message to the
 > > =09SRM console and the console prints out endless lines of:
 > >
 > > TU PCI BUSS Error; CSR5 ffffffff
 > >
 > > =09The only way is to reset the entire box  the hard way. The error isn=
 't that nice, as the machine would not reboot without manual work after a k=
 ernel panic.