Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:36:49 -0500
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@dlee.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to set environment variable for a port daemon?

SpamAssassin now recommends an environment variable setting like
"export LANG=en_US" be made when unicode support is not needed, for
performance reasons, as of the migration to Perl 5.8, which uses
unicode by default at some expense to SpamAssassin's performance.  I'm
trying to figure out the best way to make that setting apply to spamd,
the SpamAssassin daemon.  From my read of docs and my scan of
/usr/local/etc/rc.subr, I don't think throwing the setting into
spamd_flags in /etc/rc.conf will work; that would look like this:

spamd_flags="LANG=en_US -c -d -m 3 -r /var/run/spamd.pid"

but I'm hoping either I'm wrong or there's a similarly easy solution.

Reason for interest:  I'm running SpamAssassin on an old P166, and as
of my latest port upgrade, its performance dropped dramatically, and
it actually began interfering with day-to-day activities on this old
box.  I'm hoping the unicode evasion will help with that, though I
don't know how likely this is.

Please Cc replies to me.

Thanks much for any advice.

--