Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:41:32 -0400
From:      FreeBSD <freebsd@optiksecurite.com>
To:        Simon Chang <simonychang@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

Simon Chang a écrit :
>> collecting pv entries -- suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC
>>
>> I've read that this is mainly caused by Apache spawning too many processes.
>> Everyone seems to suggest to decrease the MaxClients directive in Apache(set
>> to 450 at the moment), but here's the problem...i need to increase it !
>> During peaks all the processes are in use, we even have little drops
>> sometime because there isn't enough processes to serve the requests. Our
>> traffic is increasing slowly over time so i'm affraid that it'll become a
>> real problem soon. Any tips on how I could deal with this situation,
>> Apache's or FreBSD's side ?
>
> On page 85 of Michael Lucas' "Absolute BSD", there is a solution to
> your problem that someone else had come across before.  The solution
> involves (1) increasing the PMAP_SHPGPERPROC parameter in the kernel
> to a higher value and rebuilding the kernel, and (2) increasing the
> amount of physical RAM to complement it.
>
> For more details, go to
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=vebgS-r9fP8C&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=Michael+Lucas+collecting+pv+entries&source=web&ots=9Fl2T_Uyqi&sig=6LgchiUI5r0NTL6PaK3sxnFuIBI&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result
>
> Good luck,
>
> Simon Chang

Thanks for the links, pretty helpful but this server is the only
production web server we have. I don't really like the idea of
recompiling the kernel with a new option...

I don't really understand why we are getting this error since there is
plenty of Inactive RAM in the system (2G inactive on a 4G server with
amd64). Is this a "normal" error in this case?

Thank you for your quick reply.