Date:         Fri, 06 Dec 96 16:52 PST
From:      Denis DeLaRoca (310) 825-4580        <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
To:        Thomas Pfenning <thomaspf@MICROSOFT.COM>
Cc:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RE: GUS PRO: functional!

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 16:25:52 -0800,
   Thomas Pfenning <thomaspf@MICROSOFT.COM> said:
> I see the looping also happening with a Soundblaster, so the problem
> seems to be somewhere outside the specific sound driver. Guspnp6 does
> indeed sound very good.

Now that you mention it, once, but only once, I lost the audio device
with my PAS-16 and the current sound driver: vat continued working
but writes to /dev/audio were failing. I was able to recover only
with a reboot. Amancio speculated that the problem may be in the
dma handling routines.

With vat in half-duplex mode there's a slight problem with sound
samples overlapping very periodically -- only briefly, mind you. I
it happens when the sound source is continuous and the playback
buffer builds up... if vat is able to detect successfully the end
of a talk spurt then the playback spurt is reset and no overlapping
sound is heard. I am sure you can explain this better...

-- Denis