Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 1995 13:08:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: More thoughts on the installer

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> X means "couldn't assign a name" which means that you're all out of
> partitions. You can have seven per slice: [abd-h]

I could not find the number 7 documented but that could just be me. :)

I encountered /dev/X when trying to get FreeBSD installed on a disk
that has 2099 cylinders.  I am using OS/2 Boot Manager with a DOS and
an OS/2 partition.  This leaves about 50 mb below the 1024 cylinder
limit ... as OS/2 BM requires a partition to be completely within the
1024 cylinder limit to add said partition to the boot menu.  So, I made
a small BSD partition then another one for the rest of the disk.  BSD
recognized the small partition but /dev/X'd the other one... that is
with a 1mb primary partition for Boot Manager, a 320mb primary DOS
partition, a 128mb extended OS/2 partition ... then BSD.  This is a
different limitation than the one you describe?  *Can* I have more than
one slice per disk now?
--
Jan Isley
jan@bagend.atl.ga.us