Date:      Tue, 7 May 2013 13:46:36 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org Arch" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org, "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] adding a variable to .mk and Makefile.inc1 to point to top of the FreeBSD source tree

On May 7, 2013, at 1:39 PM, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 01:05:07PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    A common pattern that I've seen at Isilon and something else that =
I've
>> wanted to have for a while is the ability to designate where the top =
of a
>> source tree was. This is important and helpful when dealing with =
source
>> files that build upon each other or depend on sources located in =
other
>> sections of the tree; contrib stuff needs to set .PATH appropriately =
>> point to sources at the top of the tree, sys stuff is riddled with S=3D=
 in
>> order to point to where /sys, etc lives, we build upon FreeBSD within =
an
>> expected directory structure as well.
>>    I haven't come up with a name, but was wondering if this was a =
good
>> idea, and if so does anyone have any outstanding patches for this =
that can
>> be pushed into FreeBSD?
>=20
> I'd like to see this.  There's a variable for this in NetBSD and I've
> wanted to do this because it makes code easier to relocate within the
> tree.

	This is another good reason. It would make porting code to/from =
NetBSD a LOT easier=85 especially because I plan on pulling a lot of =
test/test infrastructure code from NetBSD and I really don't want to =
commit too many local changes to the Makefiles. Less divergence -> =
better cross-pollination -> less work for all -> win for the BSDs.
	Thanks for the reminder.. I'll base it off what NetBSD did :).
Thanks,
-Garrett=