Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 17:14:13 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: audio modules for various applications

#define quoting(Luigi Rizzo)
// with both Amancio's and my driver now being in the source tree, I
// think this is a good time to revise the audio modules used by
// various applications.
//
// I went through this a couple of months ago, and noticed that several
// audio modules were not -- in my opinion -- very high quality, often
// misusing features of the device driver or using redundant call. In
// other cases (e.g. full duplex support for the SB16 with vat/rat)
// the OSS API was unable to support the desired features so I add to
// implement and use new ioctl() calls.
//
// As a result, I have rewritten some of these modules specifically
// for my audio driver. At this point, however, a merge is abviously
// necessary.
//
// Basically my idea is to use the OSS API as much as possible, and

I was waiting for a long time for somebody to raise this problem.
In fact, I've always wondered why should we follow the linux OSS
API other than the SUN audio API.  Most programs I intend to use
with FreeBSD also work with Sun/SunOS/Solaris.  I think this is
also the most used API, in Unix terms.

Such a choice will kill support for the synth devices, but why do
we need them after all ?  I'd prefer to see some kind of software
mixing in kernel, allowing multiple reader/writers to audio devices.
(Does SGI do this ?)

I'm not sure, but I also think that NetBSD and OpenBSD have chosen
this path too.

If and only if synth support is really wanted, it could be a separate
device, with the appropriate hooks in the base device.

Am I crazy ?

// Since many programs already work unchanged with the OSS API and my
// driver, I would like to focus on vat, nas, timidity and speak_freely
// which are the ones for which I have a replacement driver. Of

All of them compile out-of-the-box in Sun systems, right ?

					Jonny

PS: More than never, "Turning PCs into workstations"  8^)

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698				jonny@coppe.ufrj.br