Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 09:46:27 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>, freebsd hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, frebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolv.conf question

Andy Farkas wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Jim Durham wrote:
>
> > The 3.3 Box is a local server on a disconnected LAN talking
> > to a "remote" server that spools mail, which is grabbed by
> > fetchmail. We are running PPP on-demand to the external
> > server via a dial-up to an ISP. However, PPP only holds the
> > line up from 8am-8pm and this is happening at 1:59am, coinciding
> > with the "periodic daily" scripts from crontab.
> >
> > Seemed wierd to me..
>
> "enable dns" in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf will cause ppp to fiddle with
> resolv.conf everytime you connect (8am-8pm).

Hello Andy,

You were correct. One of the scripts in "periodic/daily" was
tickling the tun0: interface, causing ppp to automatically
connect to the ISP at 1:59am. Apparently, it was busy
enough to stay up and not reconnect on the days when I checked
the modification time of the /etc/resolv.conf file, so it
fooled me by being 1:59m instead of 8am, when cron fires up
the connection. I pulled the "enable dns" line out
and all should be well now. It had me puzzled for sure.

Thanks to you and all who replied.
--
Jim Durham