Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:05:37 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: msdosfs can't mount Extended partition. Any ideas?

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <20010612110504.B18309@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu> Szilveszter Adam writes:
> : > Thanks, it works. I was confused by 'devfs' this time which not show ad0s5
> : > slice under /dev until it is actualy mounted.
> :
> : Yes, devfs really takes some getting used to in the beginning, at least it
> : has for me:-)
>
> I'm not sure I like this whole magically appearing on first access
> device thing :-(

I'm sure I don't like it :-).  Do you like

	cd /dev
	ls $(jot -w tun 8000 0)	# 8000 = big, but not too big for ARG_MAX
	ls tun*

The first "ls" should create about 8000 new tun devices by first accessing
them via stat(2), but there is some garbage collection, so the second "ls"
may show that some of the devices have magically unappeared.

Bruce