Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 16:39:31 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "David Clarke" <djclarke@cm-solutions.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUNIX PCI Parallel Card with FreeBSD 4.0

> >Sort of; it's not easy to get the information you need.  It'd be easier
> >to write a PCI bus attachment for the 'ppc' driver; if you can get
> >documentation on the card and a sample to someone, it could probably be
> >done in a few days.
>
> If you (or someone else) can point me in the right direction and maybe an
> example, I am happy to give it a try.  I have done some SS7 driver code
> development in a previous life.

In the "ideal world", you'd split the ISA and PCI attachments for the ppc
code off from the core and migrate it into /sys/dev.  You might look at
eg. the if_ed code to see how this is done; the core code is pretty
frightening, but the bus attachments themselves are fairly
straightforward.

I'd suggest that you have a look at this first and see what you think,
then get back to us.  If you're interested in attacking it, the job isn't
very hard and I don't know of anyone else working on it, so it'd be quite
the valuable thing to do.