Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:52:13 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hot-changing a failed HDD with ahci.ko

Hi!

Am 14.12.2011 um 10:26 schrieb Jeremy Chadwick:
>> What is the proper equivalent for ahci, ada0 and camcontrol?
>=20
> None is needed: yank the disk, reinsert, wait a few seconds, done.
> Validation, with full output, hardware, etc:
>=20
> =
http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/freebsd-and-zfs-hot-swapping-sata-d=
isks-with-ahci/

Yank the disk:
(ada0:ahcich0:0:0:0): lost device

Reinsert - nothing happens.

>> shutdown -r now
>> -> system panics, eventually reboots
>=20
> Before you yanked the disk, were any non-ZFS filesystems mounted?

Yes - my fault. I had an active swap partition on the disk which =
perfectly
explains the panic.

> You might try booting RELENG_9 (which has ahci.ko as the default, so =
no
> need to mess about) on a LiveCD or equivalent and attempt the same
> thing.  I'm left wondering if there's some stuff in RELENG_8 (not a =
typo
> compared to the above RELENG_9 reference) that you do not have in
> RELENG_8_2.

I'll try upgrading to RELENG_8 first and report the results.

Side note:
ada0: 150.000MB/s transfers (SATA 1.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)

I noticed that while preparing the last mail and removed those little =
jumpers
limiting my hard drives ;-)

Thanks,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100
info@punkt.de       http://www.punkt.de
Gf: J=FCrgen Egeling      AG Mannheim 108285