Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:22:23 -0600
From:      "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james@jrv.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD amd64 List <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Server motherboard recommendation?

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Looking to setup a small server with FreeBSD amd64.
> Any recommendations on a motherboard?
> Preferably one with ECC memory support and 64bit PCI (for a 3ware card).

"Small server" means different things to different people.

The Tyan S2885 motherboard works well and has four 64-bit PCI slots as
well as an AGP slot and 32-bit PCI.
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8w.html

Lian-Li's PC-V2000 chassis has room for 12 internal disks.  The Enermax
EG851AX-VH power supply seems to power 12 drives & the S2885 with 2x 248
Opterons and 8GB of memory with no difficulty  I use a 3ware 9500S
(twa(4)) disk controller.

It is possible to save quite a bit of money (and floor space) if this is
more than needed.