Date:      Mon, 01 Jul 2013 18:33:06 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jilles@stack.nl
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: multi-instance and self-contained rc.d script

----Security_Multipart(Mon_Jul__1_18_33_06_2013_982)--

Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl> wrote
  in <20130630221032.GB43309@stack.nl>:

ji> On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 06:29:53AM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
ji> >   In the patch, killing the processes without pid file does not work
ji> >   well yet.  This can be improved.
ji>
ji> I don't think it is possible to fix that properly. Killing processes by
ji> name has a high risk of killing unrelated processes in any case.

 Yes.  The current patch does not care about it at all, so probably we
 need to make it less harmful.

ji> >    b) Make rc.d/foo always have rc.d/foo(8) manual page.
ji>
ji> However, I don't like another set of manual pages.

 Why?  rc.conf(5) manual page has been bloated.  What do you think
 about the best place to document variables and non-standard script
 arguments?

ji>
ji> >  That's all.  Both changes are fully backward compatible and I believe
ji> >  they improve flexibility and manageability of rc.d scripts.
ji>
ji> >  An example of rc.d/routed(8) manual page is also attached.  If these
ji> >  changes are acceptable, I would like to split the current (lengthy)
ji> >  rc.conf(5) manual page into rc.d/foo(8).
ji>
ji> > Index: etc/rc.subr
(snip)

 Thank you for your feedback about the code!  I will revise the patch
 and post it again.

-- Hiroki