Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:51:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David Radovanovic" <dave@whatsthebigidea.com>
To:        "Ron Gilbert" <lists@rzweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

> I just installed 5.3-release, and everything is working great, except
> when I shut down.  Every-time I reboot, I get errors that say the
> drives were not shut-down properly and it runs fsck.  I am doing
> shutdown and everything seems OK.
>
> After the shut-down process, it says "to enter a shell or hit return
> for /bin/sh".  Unlike Redhat, it never says it's safe to shutdown the
> machine.  Is this correct, or am I doing some thing wrong to shutdown
> and/or reboot.
>
> This is a older machine and does not have the power-off support.
>
> Ron
>

>From one newbie (two years) to another. If you need to, then a graceful
shutdown is the way to go, i.e. shutdown -h now or just shutdown -h. Maybe
there someone out there that knows better.

Good Luck,

David Radovanovic
WhatsTheBigIdea.com, Inc.
-- Creative ideas for the Web and beyond!
249 Partition Street
Saugerties, NY 12477
(845)247-0909
http://www.WhatsTheBigIdea.com