Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 15:25:49 -0600
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Overloaded PRINTER variable in bsd.doc.mk?

It seems that the PRINTER environment variable in bsd.doc.mk has
several uses.  One use is for the groff/eqn -T<type> and the other
is for lpr -P<printer>.  One other use for this is the way I use
the PRINTER environment variable, namely to set up my default printer.

If I don't unsetenv PRINTER before a I do a make in the doc src directory,
it tries to ``groff -Tlp'' everything -- which of course fails miserably.
This problem has been around for a while.

Would it be possible to change the name of this environment variable in the
bsd.doc.mk file to something other than PRINTER.  It could possibly use
two types of default devices (one for groff and one for lpr).  PRINTER
is probably fine for lpr, but not for the default groff/eqn type (possibly
PRINTER_TYPE would be a good choice?).

	-Jim