Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:22:17 +1000
From:      "Pietralla, Siegfried P" <siegfried.pietralla@eds.com>
To:        "'Ian Dowse'" <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: yet another boot problem

ian,

thank you for your response. i didn't have any time till this weekend to do
any further work hence the late reply. as it turns out this did not directly
resolve my problem so in the end i put the disk back into 32Gb mode and
reinstalled 4.5. using my exsting 4.3 installation i fdisk'ed ad3 and
disklabel'ed ad3s3 and booted the cd and installed. then i booted into
ad3s3a and disklabel,newfs,dump/restore into ad3s2a. then i tried to boot
into ad3s2a and had the same problem. so i set boot0cfg to packet on ad3 and
then i managed to boot up from ad3s2a! after a couple of reboots toggling
packet on and off it definitely reflects the explanation in your mail. then
i put the disk back into 60Gb ( without using fdisk to change the geometry )
and it still booted both ad3s1a and ad3s2a - this doesn't help me understand
what was happening before but at least now i know it will work. maybe i
shouldn't have set the geometry with fdisk to start with - even though i was
only using the info given by dmesg? does this actually write anything to the
disk anyway?

thanx again,
siegfried.